Do I "Drain" or Do I "Inspire?"

A friend posted a quote yesterday by Hans F. Hansen, “People Inspire You or Drain You.  Pick Them Wisely.”  I responded, “Sometimes both are the person in the mirror,” which prompted a private conversation about why I said that, perhaps strange, thing.
Here’s what I was thinking.

I think it's important to acknowledge self-talk. We can inspire ourselves or we can drain ourselves. We need others, but we need ourselves. I had a really hard week last week. My self-talk and attitude affected the way I saw the world. I drained my ‘self.’ I didn't find inspiration is who I was or how I was. And through it all, I learned not only a lot about myself and how I react, but how my internal being can affect it all.  As a woman, I can call it PMS--that hormonal, beat-up-the-world time that sometimes makes me struggle to be human.
Also, times like that help me learn to surround my ‘self’ with people who will lift me out, inspire and motivate me to do and be better. Hanging out with those who will perpetuate the pity party is not going to be helpful.  I reached out to a few of those people who would, could and did help me out of my funk and I am much more the ‘me’ I want to see in the mirror. 
We need each other.
Today, when I continue my reflection, I think about how we each can inspire or drain the people around us, so it isn’t just about picking people wisely, it’s about behaving wisely, too.  It is also about knowing the people with whom we surround ourselves and accepting that each of us can (and most likely will) be both ‘draining’ and ‘inspiring’ to most of our family and friends as some point or another in life.  How we react to a difficult moment, a ‘draining’ moment, in someone’s life does not mean they are always going to ‘drain’ – if we know them well, we know that we are all a combination of behaviors and emotions.
I was reading about ‘promises’ this week.  These covenants we make with one another and with our communities (family, friends, faith communities, civic organizations) are ways to define our relationships with others.  When we understand that promises can be made, changed, developed or broken, we may want to be reminded that God’s covenant with the people is binding.  God’s promises are our models for behavior.  Whether we are ‘draining’ or ‘inspiring,’ God has promised to love us.

Dear Heavenly One, Your presence with me in draining times is one of the most stable sources of inspiration and love.  Help me to be more accepting of myself and of others when the clouds of despair, depression, frustration and helplessness shade the inspirational, loving, growing people we more truly are.  Amen.