Should-Need-Want

I am a list maker.  I am a planner.  That may imply that I am rigid and unwilling to be spontaneous, and sometimes that is the case!  However, there are times when I need to set aside the “shoulds” to take care of the “needs” because those fulfill many of the “wants.”  Being responsible can fill the list with many things I “should” do. Being responsible can mean choosing between multiple “shoulds” that are at the same time.  Doing what “should” be done may fulfill a “need” or a “want,” but often those “needs” and “wants” may be a part of a greater “should.”

Days like today help me see the importance of placing “needs” and “wants” ahead of “should.”  Even though I should have been focusing on school, I instead spent time putting together Sunday newspapers with my daughter, helping to reimburse us for her band trip.  I needed to do this to be a part of a greater community and to give me time to do something methodical, rhythmic and monotonous so my mind could be clear of everything besides counting newspapers and praying.  When a friend contacted me to go to a movie this afternoon, my list of things to do seemed unimportant because I wanted to do something spontaneous and that would foster the relationship I so frequently do not have enough time for, because I should be doing something else.

After a couple of nights apart, due to a conference, instead of going home after the movie, my husband and I decided to spend time together at dinner.  To keep our relationship strong, we need to devote time to one another, and though we should have gone home to take care of things we should have been doing, we focused on each other, wanting to be in each other’s company.  I don’t want my relationship to be defined by time we should spend together.  I want it to be what we want.  I need it to be what we need.

And now, as I write this, a cat is snuggling with me, reminding me that I need to be quiet with her and do the self-care that only animals can provide.  Twenty minutes petting an animal each day will lower blood pressure and keep humans healthy.  The warmth of an animal, their soft fur and gentle purrs can help center and focus on needs and wants. 

Dear God, there are so many times I feel like I should be spending time learning more about you and focusing on ways to be in relationship with you, but I think I learn more about the holiness in life when I understand my need for You in my life and know how much I want to be with you.  Thank you for putting it all into a different perspective for me and help me to take the time to allow my needs and my wants to bring me in closer relationship with you.  Amen.