When to decorate?

This morning at the staff meeting we talked about when to start decorating for Christmas.  As a church, it is hard to buy into the idea that the day after Thanksgiving is the day to put up the tree.  For crying out loud, it isn't even Advent, yet!  It’s a conundrum.  The Christmas music has been playing for nearly a month in stores, enticing us to begin to buy gifts and cards and décor to beautify our homes.  I have to admit, there was one year that I had all my shopping done and possibly even wrapped before Thanksgiving.  That was eighteen years ago, and I was going to have a c-section on the 30th!  I knew that I was going to be kind of occupied with healing and welcoming our second child in 19 months!

As I have gotten older and have paid more attention to the church year, what each season represents as a journey through our faith, I have learned that Advent is a time of preparation for the Christ-child.  We have four weeks to pray and learn and prepare, and even though marketing gurus have tarnished the spiritual nature of the preparation, decorating our home throughout Advent while listening to the music of the season can be one way to prepare for the Holy Birth, as long as I remember that it is that birth I am preparing for and not just the race to find the perfect gift for the people who have everything.  Understanding the difference between The Gift and the gifts is important.  Dwelling on the decorating, savoring the feel and smells of the ornaments and manger scenes, contemplating the impact this one life has had on history is part of the Advent preparation.


Dear God, let me dwell in a house that is filled with reminders of all you have provided for us.  As the seasons change and the music reminds us that soon we will be celebrating all the holy days ahead, let us give thanks for the small mementos and memories that bring us closer to the ones we love.  Keep us mindful of those who struggle through this time of the year for whatever the reason.  Help them to find love and compassion in those around them and give them peace.  Amen.