Refocusing

I've been spending time catching up on journaling for one of my classes this week, which meant I spent time catching up on some reading about spiritual practices as well.  There are so many ways to engage in quiet, holy time in a day.  I find that learning about spiritual practices has made it harder for me to focus on the one that has kept me grounded for over a year.  I know it is good to have options, and I know that there are times when I need to change up the way I find respite with God.  Sometimes it is not easy to admit that I need to spend time with confession or to realize that I may not be a generous as I thought or that doing service and mission should find a different location on my to-do list.  But it is at those times when I most need to pay attention to where my focus is. 

I need to refocus.

The end of the semester is near.  Advent is about to begin and, as some people I know have said, the “holiday vortex” is upon us.  You know what I really want to do?  Find a fun book to read and spend a day reading it cover to cover.  I want to escape, to stop clenching my jaw, to get enough sleep, to not feel guilty when I play Candy Crush…at least for a little while.  For now, I can only dream of the beach and the waves upon the sand. 

Until then, I need to refocus on what needs to be done, find a way to refocus on my relationship with God, refocus my energy to stay current and refocus on what I need to do now to prepare me for then.  The goal of ordinations and graduation are coming faster than I imagined … in some ways, sooner. 


O Holy One, this is the last week of the Christian year.  We change our focus and begin our preparations for the Christ Child.  Our liturgy changes, our trajectory points towards one holy night.  We light more candles.  We pray different prayers.  We re-imagine our relationship with you, evaluating our gifts, preparing ourselves for your return.  Be with us as we refocus our energies through the hustle of the season, slowing us down to light the candles, pray the prayers and prepare for what is to come.  Amen.