The ultimate audience is God

I have been struggling with finding the holy in worship.  It is so different being behind the altar than looking at the altar.  Giving and receiving of holy moments during worship, feeling particularly touched by a moment, brushed with an inner peace, being able to pray what I need to pray; these thing appear in worship for leaders in unique ways and are often sought after in places other than a service.  But finding the holy, in any aspect of life, is possible, if we can let go, breathe and embrace possibilities of grace.

In my reading today I came across a chapter on worship.  I was very pleased to be offered some suggestions on how to prepare for worship, no matter if I’m in the pew or at the altar.  I offer these questions to help center on the two way relationship with God:

“When have I been aware of your presence, guidance, or grace this week? How did I respond?
When have I been especially unaware of your presence, guidance, or grace this week? Why?
What habit of the heart do I need to acquire in order to live more faithfully?” 
[Marjorie J. Thompson. Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life (Kindle Locations 945-946). Kindle Edition.]

I’m not sure how I want to implement these into my weekly routine, but I feel the need to figure it out…soon…because it is so easy to simply “go to work” and “do the job” and forget Who I am there to do it for.  Especially when I consider this:  “The audience is God!”  [Thompson.  (Kindle Location 825).]
And: “Christian worship is paradoxical. God is both the audience and the main actor. We too are both actors and audience.”  [Thompson. (Kindle Location 832). ]


Dear God, the supreme audience of worship, the lead role in creation, thank you for cheering me on as I navigate this time in my life.  You are ever present whether or not I notice or devote time to our relationship.  Help me have more intention while I live and love to your grace.  Teach me to let go, relax and be in your presence, accepting your guidance in all that I do.  Amen.