One Maple Leaf

I found a maple leaf on the ground as I walked up our front walk.  It was a deep red, almost burgundy.  It was one of those perfectly shaped leaves that cry out, “Pick me up and press me in a book!”  I left it there, a contrast against what is left of the green grass, amidst the acorns and their caps, as a symbol that the season is changing again.  I suppose I could have picked it up and held it for a few moments, admiring how just last week the leaf was green and today it looks different.  New.  Transformed.  Not just a little bit, but fully changed in a short, short time.

Tomorrow I could go out and look for that leaf and I know that if I could find it, no longer a candidate for an autumn leaf collection it would be drier and more brittle and maybe a little more brown.  But there would be another, newly fallen leaf, adding to the layer on the grass.  Each day, the lawn will transform as the other trees let go of the 2013 leaves, their lives spent, their cycle complete.

The leaves have provided shelter and shade when the sun was hottest and now they will provide nourishment for the earth, feeding the ground as it prepares for the winter.

Another reminder of the life cycle, of the fluidity of living and dying.  Today is the anniversary of the death of a friend, and there were three posts on Facebook about people dying or being buried today.  Each expressed their thankfulness for the life of their loved one, how they were sheltered, protected and nourished by these loved ones in life and will be strengthened by the memories as they grieve. 

Maybe I should gather a few leaves and acorns and light a candle, focusing on life, thankful for the cycle.


O Holy One, birds are migrating, winds are blowing, leaves are falling and people are dying.  Through all these signs, help us to be thankful, to press our memories into a book and to give you praise.  Amen.