Identifying the gift of "Home"

Where is home?  Is it a place or is it a frame of mind?  Is it about the past or the present?  Is it about good relationships or difficult relationships?  How we identify home, what it is and where we find it tells a lot about us.  Leaving home in a transitional period, like heading off to college, or into that first apartment can be nerve wracking and exciting all in one, knowing that, as long as mom and dad don’t renovate or rent out the old bedroom, there is still a place set aside for the one who is in transition.  Moving from one home into another, whether it is an apartment or a house, or a house to an apartment, puts into perspective that the state of “home” is more about who is living within the walls, not where those walls are built.  Leaving a faith community that has been a refuge for decades is another kind of change.  The people who have cared for us during our strength and our weakness continue to hold a dear place in our “home,” but the frequency in which we are in community dwindles down to nearly nothing as we establish a new community who will become a refuge of strength and will house our weakness.
 
Helping my mother-in-law transition from her apartment into a new apartment, closer to us, and that has the opportunity for her to have meals in community is one thing.  Knowing that she will be leaving her life-long faith community to join Jeff in ours at a time when I will be leaving that faith community to move into my internship parish brings about different emotions.  I think I am in the same period of disbelief in preparation for mourning as she is.  We skirt this topic in our packing, perhaps because it is too raw and though we both understand that this is just one part of this point in our lives, the reality is we are both leaving something behind that has nourished us in more ways than we can count.  She gets to join our faith community and I hope that she will find new friends and a sense of the holy there.  I get to spend nine months in another community to learn more about my future, my style, my purpose in God’s plan and though I’m excited, I’m also scared and sad.  I bet she feels many of those same emotions.

Dear God Above and Within, please be with those who are making changes in their lives, whether temporary or semi-permanent.  Calm nervous stomachs and open hearts to the opportunities change can offer.  In your embrace we experience the peace beyond understanding, the hope for the future and the love you offer each of us.  Amen.