When I am weak...

I have been struggling with the blog of late.  My habit was disrupted by traveling and the mission trip and I seem to think that I need the blog to be filled with reflections from the mission trip because it was so impactful in such a variety of ways…but it doesn't.  That’s not what this blog was intended to do.  It all started with a simple prayer and it became a nightly practice of writing of thoughts, experiences, dreams and desires as a way to stay connected with God.  So why has it become easy to set this time aside, to set God aside?  Sure, I trust that God is ever present in my life, that my thoughts become prayers and that I am in relationship with God.  But giving up the nightly practice has left a hole in my day, and I feel like my relationship is lacking.

I know that part of what has kept me from blogging has been my need to process the mission trip.  I am finding that I have many growing edges that need attention after this trip.  I am probably at one of my weakest points in my life.  I’m working on changing that, through talking with my spiritual director, my husband and others who want to listen to me as I talk through my experience on the mission trip.  I am vulnerable and lacking in self-confidence while at the same time I feel like a champion for the Ojibwa tribes in northwestern Minnesota.  I can tell their stories, while I struggle with my own.

There is so much more to my feelings of weakness and vulnerability right now.  My energies are focused on helping my mother-in-law prepare to move at the end of the month—a different type of mission trip!  I’m trying to emotionally prepare for my internship that will commence September 8 and last until mid-May, leaving my faith community of 26 years.  Our daughter will begin her senior year soon.  Our son is planning to move out in the next couple of months.  Life is changing, as it should, but right now, I feel weak so I have to trust that God is strong.

Perhaps this is one of those times where I have to be reminded to place my faith and trust in God, and ask others to pray for me. 


Dear God, be present through the transitions life offers:  transitions of thought and understanding as well as of life changes and growth.  Only you can hear the weakness and longing of your people.  Lift them, guide them, love them as their lives progress into fuller relationship with you.  Amen.