Friends and memories

Another night with the Divas and other members of the class of 1980!  It was a perfect night, cool and crisp air filled with outbursts of laughter and many conversations updating one another on our lives.  We gathered at Maynard’s in Excelsior for dinner and beverages.  It was so nice to see some people I've only been in contact with via Facebook these past few years.  I heard happy and silly stories and also the story of the death of one of the mothers.  She was probably one of the few moms I spent any time with, so her passing was not only a surprise, it brought me to tears.  It is hard to watch the pain endured by those left and hear about the drama that causes so much friction within families, when each person’s grief is so raw and vulnerable.  I’m sad that I didn’t get to spend time talking to each person there tonight, but I will see some of them tomorrow, when our day is filled with activities, beginning with church in the morning.  The tiara clad Divas have threatened to be a little rowdy when I preach!


O God, thank you for the friendships that have endured for most of my life.  Even though we may not be in close contact frequently, there is comfort in reuniting with people who began from many of the same stories, the same neighborhoods, the same elementary schools and developed into the adults we are.  Our home lives varied, our cliques and activities defined us in high school, but because of our roots we are able to be together, shedding our teen-aged skins, comfortable in the people we've become, ready to embrace one another as we venture forth into our futures.  Friends are friends forever, when we trust that you, dear God, have led us through and in these lives, ever bound with you and one another.  Thank you!  Amen.