Surrounded by Love

Knowing in my heart and in my head that I am supported in my call to the priesthood is one thing.  Experiencing the support and love from friends and family first hand is another.  This morning did not start out as smoothly as I thought.  I was at church early, finding three tires in the parking lot.  Thinking they would limit the parking spaces, I put them on the grass and headed back to my car to grab my garment bag and my … wait … did I? … I did.  I left my sermon on the stairs at home.  I rushed back home at speeds I would scold anyone else for driving, grabbed the sermon and rushed back to church … with three minutes to go until the service started.  I was not the only one feeling a little concern!  Poor Judy and the rest of the folks there!  Judy told me they would wait for me, and the rest of the 8:00 service went without a hitch
.
The 10:30 service would have its own circumstances that would cause my stomach to spin—five of my diva friends were there, sitting in the front of the church, wearing their tiaras on their heads and grins on their faces!  When it was time for the sermon, I introduced these gals and explained, “We have a pact that whenever two or three are gathered together we must wear our tiaras!” and pulled mine out for the congregation to see.  I didn’t put it on, however.  I went on to tell of my singing with the band on Friday night, and one of the Divas held up a picture of me singing!  There were a few giggles, and some people asked to have a closer look at the photo!

The sermon went fine, especially since I purposely avoided looking at any of the Divas or my family.  We had the Nicene Creed and then the Peace.  I returned to the altar, saw my tiara was in the way and took it to put it away.  The priest grabbed it out of my hands and put it on my head!  The congregation clapped and cheered.  What a riot!

I had another experience, too.  I was asked to help distribute the bread at communion.  I’ve never done this before.  I helped the priest by “pointing” the liturgy (helping her stay on the right line).  And then she gave me a plate with a half loaf of bread and sent me out to give communion.  My daughter and husband were the first to receive my first giving of communion bread.  The Divas were next.  There was something special about saying the name of each person and giving them the “Body of Christ.”  I didn’t always remember the name, and other times I didn’t know it, but there were connections made.  Probably my favorites were the four little girls who were from the last family.  Each reached out her hands and I squatted down and looked her in the eye as I gave her the bread.  I got great smiles from them as they received this gift from God.  Those smiles were gifts to me.

The day was filled with more Diva time, brunch at one house and visiting at another.  These were a bit quieter than the nights at the bars.  Everyone was a bit more tired and a little less loud.  It was nice to be more centered and focused on a few, our relationships with one another growing.

Dear Holy One, you bring people into our lives who honor and respect the choices we make, who help us and guide us through the difficulties, who love us unconditionally.   We count on these folks to support us and lift us.  It is a blessing to be surrounded and embraced by them, for it is a human touch that comes from you.  Amen.