Father's Day

I was just about to start the grill on this gorgeous day and the wind picked up and there were sprinkles dropping down.  But, as it is Father’s Day, I marched onward, started the grill and proceeded to cook boneless beef ribs, turning them every three minutes.  I didn't get to make them for my dad, but they were for my husband, whose dinner prayer was a thanksgiving for our two kids and how they are the most important people in his life (under his breath he included me!!).  Brought tears to my eyes.  

Fatherhood has been a marathon for him, trying very hard to support our decision that one of us stay at home to parent, allowing me to do that while he would work long hours.  He would take care of the kids when they were little, while I would go out and do my Tupperware business.  We never considered it ‘babysitting.’  We considered it ‘parenting’ and he values the opportunity to have developed relationships with each of the kids.  

My dad would tell us that he never changed a diaper and he didn't get married to cook, but he has individual relationships with my brothers and me, having taught us each different things and helping us develop our identities as child, sibling, friend and more.  My dad traveled frequently for his work so he wasn't home all the time.  Mom had to make decisions and teach us in her own way, parenting, often, with the help of one of our neighbors.  I get to spend more time with just my dad now when he comes to stay with us a few times a year.  I have to coordinate special times with my mom to have alone time with her.  

Not everyone has good relationships with their father.  It makes it hard to personify God in a father role when that relationship has either been missing or has been challenging.  So when I spend time here, writing each day, I try to give God many different titles, because God is so much more than this.  But today, I wish to address God as Father because, for me, God has that role, and it is one which comforts and strengthens me, just like my Dad has done for me.  

Dear Father in Heaven, fatherhood is a complex responsibility.  Balancing all the different kinds of relationships, personalities and responsibilities keeps Dads occupied.  They teach, admonish, guide, support and love those who look to them as paternal figures in their lives; those relationships are not always born of blood, but of opportunity.  Be with the men in this world who are dads, whether that was their choice or not.  Help those men who are separated from their children for a variety of reasons.  Surround those dads who are alone on days like today with love.  Thank you for the dads in my life, those who helped to parent me and those who help to parent our children, especially my husband, my father and my father-in-law (may he rest in peace).  Amen.