Preparing for Her Journey

I take a deep breath and quickly blow it out.  There may be a bit of exasperation in that action, or it could be a need for a quick mental cleansing.  Either way, I refocus a bit and try to center my thoughts.  What to pray about tonight?  The most prominent thing is this upcoming trip our daughter will be embarking on this Thursday.  Though Costa Rica isn't really overseas, it is traveling abroad by plane and by bus or van into the rain forest and then to the dry forest.  The opportunity to do research that could impact our future is an exciting prospect!  Strengthening and developing relationships with fellow students will be important.  Growing into her future—or at least beginning to understand what she may or may not want to do or become in her future will be uppermost in her mind.  As the mom, I have many people asking if I’m nervous about her leaving.  If this was her first trip away, traveling by plane, I may say 'yes.'  But I think I’m more envious of the opportunity to go someplace I would never have gone at age 17.  I’m excited for her, and yes, I’ll worry, pray and miss her while she is gone.  At the same time I will strongly desire to know what she is learning about ants, people and herself on this journey.  Perhaps I will get a sampling each day in the blog the students will contribute to each day, but I suspect I will have to wait for the pictures and stories when she returns. 

Dear God, please be with these students as they prepare in these next few days to take a journey into their futures.  Guide their paths, keep them safe, help them find joy and prepare them for the many opportunities to learn.  Open their eyes to the beauty of creation and the wonder of it all.  Fill them with memories.  Remind them that they are loved beyond measure by those who will wait for their return.  Amen.