Memories

Twenty-six years ago I was anxiously getting ready to try to sleep.  I would be walking down the aisle the next afternoon in front of about 300 guests to promise my love to Jeff.  I changed up the tradition a little bit.  I wore my mom’s wedding gown at the rehearsal.  It was a knee length frock with a lace jacket.  I was happy to be able to use it in such a way to honor her, but be able to have my own style at our wedding the next day.  From what I can remember, the rehearsal went well, the dinner was a tad rowdy and my nerves were swirling uncontrollably throughout my body.  Tonight, as I try to remember, I smile.  We've come a long way since that night.  We've become comfortable in our individual skins as well as with one another—but not so comfortable as to take one another completely for granted.  We've had to work hard to be the couple we are, and it hasn't been without struggles.  But, each effort has been worth it.  Our love is strong, our relationship blessed and our family a gracious gift.  It’s been a great 26 years. 

Dear Giver of Love, thank you for teaching how to live and love, to be in relationships of all sorts, to trust and give and experience life together.  Amen.