Deacon Debbie

It has been nearly a week since ordination.  This morning I read Bishop Brian Prior’s reflections of the day:
FROM THE BISHOP'S BLOG

Ordination: Being Present to God's Holy Presence


Dear Friends,
Sitting in the beautiful Kellogg room, we talked about how important it was to be present to the Presence, even amidst all the distractions around us. On "grace-filled cue", at that very moment, a very large truck came by and filled the room with noise. I, of course, took full advantage and said, "There will always be a lot of noise around us - we are called to be present to God's Presence."

A few short hours later, "cloistered" away from the joyous ruckus that was going on just down the hallway, we spent most of our time in quiet, at times silence. As we ended our final prayers, I once again invited them to be present to the moment that was to take place, and to hold holy silence. 
Standing now some 100 feet behind a gregarious group of clergy, all those behind me were not distracted by the noise, but rather present to God's presence and all that was before them. 
Holy moments can often be lost on all sorts of details and distractions. It is so easy to get caught up in what cries the loudest for our attention, rather than staying focused on the small, quiet voice that calls our name. Through the years, many a clergy have confessed to me that Sunday morning worship is anything but that; they often end up feeling more like an event organizer, rather than the one to invite the gathered to prayer. 
Yet, for our incredible 16 newly ordained, even amidst the full gamut of their own emotions and surrounded by the sweet sounds of anxiously awaiting family and friends, they were present to God's Holy Presence; an experience I pray that will carry them forward as they go forth to a world filled with noise and distractions from that small quiet voice calling their names.
Blessings,  
    
+Brian

Though I may have experienced my holy moments in a slightly different way, these reflections are quite accurate.  I would add a level of nervousness coupled with an air of celebration, points of confidence in what I have understood to be my calling partnered with the reality of a goal, dream and prayers being realized (with all the complexities and unknowns that accompany it!).
The Bishop lays his hands on me as I am ordained.
Last night, with friends, I was asked how it feels to be ordained.  In many ways it feels no different.  The life I live has nearly always been dependent upon God and a feeling of being embraced by the Holy comforts me.  Now there is a greater sense of responsibility, particularly when wearing the clergy collar.  But simply wearing such a visible sign of my call does not make me more or less a child of God.  It doesn't give me a fast track to heaven or a private ear with God.  Everyone has these!  What wearing a collar does do is announce to the world that I am ordained, that I should be someone to whom another can come for prayer, blessing, assistance and to talk.  It means that I have made promises to God, my Bishop and my Church to live a holy and Godly life.  It announces that I should be someone who can see Jesus in others and who should understand that even when we fall short, we are all children of God.
Bishop Brian and Deacon Debbie
I have many more months of complex educational opportunities and expectations before I am ordained a priest.  I am living in limbo as I wait to learn where I will be placed to do my transitional diaconal training.  I ask for your prayers that I will be placed in a church where I will learn and grow in and with my call.  I ask for your prayers that I will persevere through the next months of my educational responsibilities so I will graduate in April with my Masters of Divinity.  I ask for your prayers as I prepare and then practice during my Clinical Pastoral Education (CPE) where I will work in (likely) a hospital as a chaplain.