Holy Hospitality

I’m spending a little time reading about hospitality.  I find hospitality to come in many different forms, and have most understood it to be a particular kind of welcome—generally of a “stranger” or someone new in one’s life.  But after reading today I have a little different understanding:

“Hospitality is an invitation from God to grow deeper in love.”  Christine D. Pohl. Living into Community: Cultivating Practices That Sustain Us (Kindle Location 1988).


I like this image.  Jesus and his followers spent a significant amount of time traveling around, accepting the hospitality of many, many people.  And Jesus frequently spoke about welcoming others into fellowship and most of the time, those we are to invite in are “strangers” or “others” or people who make us uncomfortable in some regard.  To see these kinds of expressions of hospitality as invitations from God to see, learn, experience and grow into deeper, loving relationships is a nearly breathtaking ‘aha’ moment.  

It isn't always easy to see the gift of this invitation.  Many of us tend to stick to the people who have been parts of our multiple circles, and sometimes those circles do not even touch!  We place relationships in silos of specificity.  Why?  It sometimes takes a major event, like a graduation party, for people from multiple venues to come together to meet, to celebrate, and to join together.  Other times lives cross for a moment, perhaps through the simple act of opening a door or smiling at a weary mom with her crying baby. When we accept the invitation, we are treated to a God-moment.

Being alive we are bombarded with opportunities to give and receive hospitality.  Sometimes we “get” it and pay attention to the offers.  Other times we let “stuff” get in the way:

“Hospitality and living truthfully meet here because welcome is not about putting on a show but about inviting people into our lives as we live them.” (Pohl:  Kindle Locations 2013-2014).


How often have I held back an invitation, or refused an invitation because my “house” was not in tip top form?  And I don’t just mean my physical house, I mean my heart, my sense of self, my physical response to others, my emotional state of mind.  I live a messy existence in my head sometimes.  Sometimes the house is a mess.  Sometimes my ability to love is cluttered with ugly self-talk and doubt.  As I've gotten older I have begun to realize that “all of me” is worthy of relationships, that my voice counts, that I do not have to pretend to be someone I am not.  And some people will be able to accept this, while others will not or cannot.   And it’s okay, even when it doesn't feel very good.  Because, “hospitality is an invitation to mutual truthfulness” (Pohl:  Kindle Location 2014), and if I can learn to accept myself without putting on a show, then I hope to be willing to accept others as they do the same.


Dear God, thank you for the many opportunities to experience you through and in the hospitality of others.  Keep my mind open to the experiences placed before me and let me be who I am without putting on a show, so that I can fully welcome the invitation to both giving and receiving holy hospitality.  Amen.