A new book, an unexpected gift

I just started reading a book that I would identify as “fun,” but I think it may actually be very helpful as a way for me to begin to formulate, create and construct my theology—that huge project that is weighing on my mind, but is rendering my fingers stiff.  The book is by licensed psychologist, Rachel Awes.  She has taken, with permission, phrases spoken by her clients that have taught her about life and has written and illustrated All I Did Was Listen.

Her artwork uses reds, burnt oranges, purples and avocado greens.  She fills in the holes of hand written letters.  She takes a phrase and makes it a three or four paragraph story that puts life into perspective, makes the reader think and, perhaps, work on some of those things that many struggle with at different points in life.

It’s profound stuff, even in its simplicity.  I've only read the first chapter, “Messiness Inside,” and I feel a kindred spirit with her and her clients.  “We’re all broken and it’s more what we do with it that matters.”  Yes!  I am broken.  I sometimes feel lost, out of control, like no one understands me, and incapable of anything more than the simplest of tasks.  How I react to these feelings, how I grow, how I learn from them…these are the things that matter.  I can stay, stuck in my brokenness, or I can collect the shards and find the best way to put them back together—sometimes neatly; other times creating a new piece of the art of me; sometimes leaving a hole where a piece has disappeared.  She says it like this, “Affirm how the pieces of your life are being picked up as you pick them up.”  Profound.

There are no page numbers in this book, and I've only read the first chapter.  I think I have to make more time with this book, use the wisdoms shared by so many individuals, and grow.  I believe that my fingers may have more flexibility and I may be able to begin to form the words to describe my relationship to theology.  Sometimes we find what we need in the last place we would consider looking. 


O Heavenly One, thank you for placing the things we need within our reach if only we are willing to stretch out and take the risks needed to embrace them.  Amen.