The Midnight Hour

It’s midnight again.  For some reason I can’t seem to break the habit of late nights, even when I know I have an early morning rapidly approaching. 

I wish I could understand the rhythm of the creative, curious mind.  It is at this time of the day that I can sometimes do the most writing, and often do.  I've started awake in the middle of the night to write a paper or a sermon or to journal about something that is gnawing at my heart.  The need to express through words often seems to be a nighttime activity for me.  I suppose it’s because there are fewer interruptions and I can focus in a different way, or because the sounds of the night, mixed with the night air rejuvenate me enough to create sentences that border on brilliant…at least in my delirium! 

Is it the most effective way to get the things done I need to do, especially when the overnight creativity steals from the daylight activities?  As long as I don’t make a habit of it and can still find the necessary hours I need for restorative rest, yes, it can be. 


Dear God of each hour, be with those who find sleep elusive.  Help us to use those hours in productive ways: to simply listen to you, to list blessings and thanksgivings, to pray for others, for our leaders, for our world and for ourselves. Guide our sleepless hours with good habits, creative endeavors, and peaceful activities.  In your Holy Name we pray.  Amen.