The Amazing Gift

Seen/stolen from a Facebook post today:  “Your very heartbeat is the generosity of God.” --James Finley

I love hugs.  Heartbeats meld together and leap at the possibilities of life when people hug.  Petting our cats, I feel their hearts beat as they purr in contentment.  Sometimes there is a rhythmic cadence in the air, like the heartbeat of creation.  Listening to my own heart as it beats I can feel the tempo of stress, of relaxation, of excitement and other emotions.  The whoosh, whoosh of blood flowing is audible if I listen deeply.

Feel the tempo of the gift, for it is a gift:  living.  Wrap your thoughts around that concept:  your heartbeat means you are living.  Each beat represents a new moment to accept God’s generosity.

We take it for granted, hearts beating their individual rhythm, keeping pace with creation; until someone reminds us that each beat is an unconditional gift from God. 


O Creator of the Universe, you created me!  I am here, now, my heart beating, because you created me.  I listen to the rhythm, I feel the song, I rejoice in the strength as I embrace the fact that you created me.  Let me live in the knowledge of your generosity for each year, each day, each heartbeat.  You created me!  Amen.