Squeezing or melding?

“We don't attend worship to squeeze God into our lives; we seek to meld our lives into God's.”
Schnase, Robert (2008-05-01). Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations (p. 34). Abingdon Press. Kindle Edition.

This is the second time today I've encountered a phrase like this.  The first time it was specifically about prayer:  “When we pray, are we praying to be in relationship with God, willing to have enough faith to listen and accept God’s will?  Prayer is asking for God’s perfect will.”  Apparently I am supposed to have some kind of relationship with these words today.

Sitting with this idea, I think about all the ways I have engaged “Sabbath” in my posts recently.  The importance of learning how to live a life where I am ever conscious of God’s presence, in relationship with the holiness of living, seeing how creation is integrated into daily life, how God’s redemptive power guides my thoughts, all these things and more are ways to meld my life into constant relationship with God.  Setting aside Sabbath time to renew a right relationship, creating a time set apart from the requirements of daily living, is the space in which to renew and refocus my energy.  Not to squeeze God in, but to pay special attention to the variety of gifts presented in both the noise and silence of being.

Another way I can think about these words is in how a year ago (yesterday) I began a spiritual practice of writing prayers nearly daily.  To be honest, sometimes it really feels like I’m squeezing God into my busy, busy life when I write.  I don’t always want to set aside the time I need to listen for the Holy Spirit to guide my thoughts and prayers.  But most of the time, I find this time with God and my computer to be a holy exchange of ideas, needs, prayers, intercessions and focus on my relationship with God.  It is a time when I can let go of what is in my own head and listen to whatever it is God is trying to tell me.

The trifecta here is an unexpected one.  Five years ago today, my father in law died.  He wasn't a church going worshipper of God, but he worshipped God nonetheless through his abundant love of nature.  He melded his life into God’s through his nature walks, his gardening, his running, canoeing, kayaking and hiking.  He appreciated the music of creation and the music created by others. He loved to listen more than speak.  He may not have seemed like someone who made time to be in relationship with God, but when I think back to his quiet demeanor and the way he honored creation, I think he often was in relationship with the Holy. 


O Holy One, help me to be more mindful of this one life you have given to me.  The ways I encounter you in creation, technology and living are many.  The people you have placed in my life are abundant.  Open my eyes, ears, heart, mind and soul to receive all I need to meld my life into yours, completely and without reservation.  For you are my God, always and evermore.  Amen.