Random thoughts

One of the cats is snoozing, his body expanding with each breath, his white belly of soft fur exposed.  The sound of a fan from a bedroom of a sleeping child whispers from down the hall.  Light on a timer shuts off, radio noise softens and I sit, alone with my thoughts, focusing on what has been and dream of what will be.

A message from a distant family member, updating me on my dad’s journey west, alerting me to the car trouble that makes dad think he must head back home instead of continuing to the closer destination.  Dad is convinced to continue, a promise of a car repair and a long awaited weekend keep plans in place.  This distant cousin reminds me how much I should be thankful for my dad, of how wonderful, how loved and admired Dad is.  Yes, I know. 

The gloom of a foggy day was welcomed.  I had no distractions that sometimes come with a sunny day, no pull to be anywhere but where I was, accomplishing the things I needed to do.  Peaceful, content, quiet and rested, I move toward tomorrow.


Dear God, grant perfect rest to the restless, give hope to the hopeless.  Be with us all as we find the rhythm of our breath and comfort in our heartbeats as we dip into nightly rest.  Amen.