It's a little slippery where I'm walking

I feel like I’m walking on the damp, slippery surface of a fallen tree covered in moss.  My arms are outstretched as I pretend to have control of my balance.  Putting one foot carefully in front of the other the pressure of my step squishes the moss, pressing it into its roots.  Twig sized branches, void of any leaves, brush against my cheek as if to warn me of the multiple risks I am taking as I navigate through this particular obstacle on this specific path on this unique day.  

Risks are like that.  The unknown obstacles, the unsure footing, the unwillingness to take, what could be, the easier path, are all shouting at me, “Why this choice?  Why these classes?  Why?  Why?  Why?”  I’m hoping that what I have chosen at this time will help me be better than I was before.  But I feel lost in the woods, pushing at the overgrowth of words that are blocking my path, making me stumble and question my resolve.
 
I’m trying to maintain a sense of humor, time with those I love, a fully stocked kitchen with well cooked meals, quiet time with God and with myself as I look at, page through and read the stacks of books, write the never ending two page reflection papers and learn how to be a member of a leadership team in a church.  I feel like I am slipping…

When I talk about feeling overwhelmed I am assured that this is what ministry looks like. 

Oh my.

And then, while reading tonight I come to this:
“How does your faith community receive its pastors? Your pastoral leaders need your love, encouragement, and prayer as much as you need theirs. Many priests and ministers feel isolated, embattled, overwhelmed, and inadequate. They never feel they have enough time to meet all the demands of church life, let alone respond adequately to family or personal needs. Guilt over lack of a personal prayer life is common.

Here are a few simple acts of hospitality you could offer to the leaders we invest with great expectations and responsibilities. Listen to your pastors. Find out what a typical work week is like. Ask if they take a regular day off. Do they have sufficient time for personal spiritual nurture to sustain the service of their ministry? Ask what kind of support you can offer that would enable them to continue a growing and vital spiritual life. Then give them the support they need. Pray for your church leaders, during worship and through the week.”
Marjorie J. Thompson. Soul Feast: An Invitation to the Christian Spiritual Life (Kindle Locations 1867-1872). Kindle Edition.

So I ask for your prayers, that you pray for your spiritual leaders, because they, like you and I, carry burdens beyond comprehension and sometimes we forget.


Dear God, you know the weaknesses and worries of those who lead your people.  Tend their hearts, minds and spirits, giving them the necessary soil to flourish and grow.  Help them to find what they need to be whole and fully yours, balancing what they need and want with what they have been called to do.  Nurture them as they nurture us.  Amen.