The night before school begins

When I was a kid the night before the first day of school was full of anxiety.  It was one of the few nights I had a hard time sleeping because I was excited and anxious and nervous all at once.  I’m not really feeling it tonight.  I’m as prepared as I think I can be.  I don’t know what to expect from this semester, but I do know that my internship will be an amazing experience.  I’m looking forward to serving at the altar, to learning about the altar guild and all the terminology and theology and spirituality of that ministry, to meeting people and getting to know them better, to getting valuable feedback from a team of lay leaders from the church, to attending staff meetings and to have weekly meetings with the priest.  There is a class attached to the internship where I’ll learn generic information about “running” a church.  The internship will introduce me to some of the Episcopal nuances of living and working in a faith community.  In my other two classes I’ll be busy learning more about Judaism and about the pastoral care side of Death and Dying.

I had to remind myself tonight of a promise I have made while I am in school:  I promise to love the one I am with: to not let school interfere with family or family to interfere with school, to be present with friends and focused on school work—I need to be present in the present and not worry about what I am or am not doing while I am doing it.  When my time gets put into silos it can help me to stay focused.  What is often harder to do is to stay balanced and set appropriate priorities and boundaries with, for and around my time.

So this academic year will be filled with opportunities to learn how to better balance those priorities, to develop new relationships while I nurture those that have been around awhile, and to keep reminding myself to breathe, meditate, pray and surround myself with the people and things I love on a regular and renewing basis.

Dear God, I feel like I’m at the starting line of a nine month race!  This particular lap of the race seems to need a steady pace with eyes forward and foot falls prepared for any obstacles in the way.  I want to believe that the path will be smooth, but I know that there will be times when the smooth road will give way to the bumpy trail.  No matter what, I know that you are at the starting line with me and will help me to keep an appropriate pace.  You will prepare me for the obstacles and will help me land gracefully in those moments when I fall.  Keep me at the right pace and surround me with those who will encourage me through this particular race at this particular time.  Amen