Labor Day

Matthew 11:28-30 (KJV)
28 Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.  29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.  30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

These are some of my favorite verses.  They seem appropriate for today, don’t you think?  We all need to find rest when we are weary from our daily labor.  It is wonderful to know that God is willing to take all our burdens and help us find time to rest.  God has also commanded that we find, make and take time to rest, in the commandment to keep the Sabbath holy. 

We were able to find time to rest and relax and have time with family today, but not all of us…many who work in service jobs or retail outlets worked today.  Hospitals never close, police and fire fighters do not get holidays.  It is nice to have holidays sanctioned for time off, but we often forget those who cannot take that break, and sometimes we need them to be working for our benefit. 

This message, to me, is about leaning on God when times are tough.  It is God’s acknowledgement that we must work (the fall from Eden required this) and that the work we do just plain tires us out!  Even those who love the work they do need to rely on the strength of God to get through some days.  The beauty is that we do not have to carry the burdens life throws at us alone.  We have a source of strength when we trust in God. 


When I am weary, God, I come to you for strength.  I know that you are there to help me, to lighten my load and to lead me to rest if only I ask.  Even in those times when I think I can go it alone, you find ways to remind me that I cannot.  That I need your support, that I must rely on your strength to get through all the trials in life.  But it is also important that I remember that I can lean on your strength when life is going well.  You support me in both good and bad times and you teach me throughout all my life to trust in your presence.  Thank you for giving me moments to rest my head upon your strength.  Amen.