Surprises!

This morning I took a drive down to my parents’ place to surprise them for Dad’s birthday and an early Mother’s Day.  I knew that the 100 mile garage sale around Lake Pepin was going to keep Dad busy in the garage, but I wanted to go spend some time with him.  Driving from Minneapolis, where the grass is beginning to green up, I reached the area around Hampton and saw the ground covered in snow.  The further south and east I traveled, the deeper the snow!  And yet, there were some bright green patches peeking out periodically along the route.  There were many trees along highway 61 that were broken in the recent snowstorm…their branches could not withstand one more heavy coating.  No one suspected it was me driving into the yard because so many cars were in and out and many look alike, so I was able to surprise Dad, then Mom and then their friends, Marge and Bob.  What fun!  When I headed back north this afternoon, the sun had broken through the clouds, speeding the melting snow and warming my car for the return drive.  

Dear Lord, thank you for the ability to surprise my folks today, for giving me a pleasant and safe drive and for some quality time singing at the top of my lungs with some of my favorite music.  I thought back to earlier in the week when I was reminded of the fragility of life and when I prayed about how often we take “I love you” for granted.  Thanks for giving me an opportunity to say it to my first loves, face to face, today.  Amen.