Experiencing Experiments

Growing up in the Episcopal Church I have experienced the liturgy designed by ancestors.  I lived through the prayer book changes of the 1970’s and the hymnal change in 1982.  I have participated in liturgy from the Book of Common Prayer, New Zealand’s version and the newer Enriching Our Worship liturgy.  I have said thee’s and thou’s; identified God through masculine and patriarchal language; sung hymns written since the 1600’s, folk songs made famous by people like Pete Seeger, worship songs from many different progressive hymnals and cultures; and I have found refuge in understanding the Anglican Communion to be a world-wide community of Christians who worship in a distinct pattern.

I could be called an Anglican snob and maybe a liturgy junkie.

I am serving as a transitional deacon, kind of a cross between a priest-in-training and a priest-assistant. (Deacon:  “An order of the ordained ministry, charged particularly with a servant role in behalf of those in need, and to assist bishops and priests in the proclamation of the Gospel and the administration of the Sacraments.”  The Episcopal Handbook, page 215.  “Transitional” means I am on a bridge between a deacon and a priest, my call is to be a priest.  It’s about process.)  The church I am at has three Sunday morning worship services and each has its own style.  The 7:45 a.m. is traditional and quiet with very little music; it is a small group of people.  The 10:30 a.m. service uses traditional liturgy as well but the choir usually sings and there is music throughout the service; it is a medium sized congregation.  The 9:00 a.m. service is what I would call “experimental liturgy.”  This is the service with the most people.  The liturgy is often written by the priest using Episcopal liturgical structure—liturgy of the Word and liturgy of the Table—but rewriting creeds and prayers, reading the Gospel but incorporating other readings as well, involving movement through music and having the congregation leave their pews to participate in the table fellowship, i.e. Eucharist or Communion, surrounding the altar and receiving Communion in the round.

It is fascinating to me to watch how people respond to the experimental liturgy.  It is interesting to me to pay attention to how I am responding.  And I spend plenty of time thinking about this, because, as I have admitted, I am an Anglican snob and a liturgy junkie.  I like what the ancestors designed!  But I am finding how willing I am to redefine that liturgy because it is what is needed for people to understand who God is and who they are to God.

This 9:00 service is not put together without considerable thought, prayer and collaboration.  A team meets somewhat regularly to discuss what is working and what is not, or what needs to change and what should not.  We talk about what we experienced, observed and heard.  There are email exchanges asking for feedback.  As the newest person, I bring a different perspective.  I was not around when folks discussed their first ideas, nor for the five years their community spent figuring out how to make this work, or for the discussions regarding adding a worship service without disrupting what has been.  I wasn't there when they began their experiment, but I get to pose questions, make comments and tell of my observations, and it is okay when I do—it helps me learn their process but it also helps them know how others perceive what they are doing.

Again, I am an Anglican snob.  I like ritual and routine.  So this experiment, where the Bishop placed me in a community who experiments with some of the things I hold closest as an Anglican, is making me think long and hard about what is really important in worship.  Is it in holding close the traditions?  Is it in the recitation of Creeds, prayers and the Eucharistic Prayers found in the Book of Common Prayer?  Or is it more important to experience the Holy Spirit at work through some changes in the way we “do church?”
   
The way we “do church” has to be contextual.  The community of faith must be able to talk about who God is and where and how God is found in living as a faith community.  It does not necessarily look the same, but the Anglican Communion, the Episcopal Church, has a set of guidelines and ancient rules that are important in our identity as Episcopalians.  There is beauty in those guidelines, in the Book of Common Prayer, in the Hymnal, but at the same time we are a Church that acknowledges the world and the way the Holy Spirit works in the world is not stagnant.  The way the Holy Spirit is experienced, particularly in worship, needs to be part of how we design the way we “do church.” 

So I sit here trying to balance tradition with innovation, history with now, strict guidelines with letting the Spirit move us; and my mind, my gut and my spirit are twisting and turning because I understand it all but I don’t know, right now, where I fit.  I KNOW the Spirit is present in all of the different ways we worship.  I feel her presence and I see her impact among the people there.  The beauty of these three services is that people can find the place they feel most fed in their relationships with God because they have options.  They get to experience and experiment to find what works when all the while they are part of one another and a part of the greater Church and the worldwide community of faithful folks. 


None of these ways of worship is perfect.  How we each enter the sanctuary for worship affects the way we are open to the worship experience.  That goes for clergy, too.  I enter each service open to the possibilities, willing to experience and experiment and grow because of it all.  I know this because I do not take any of the worship for granted.  Something, sometime impacts me.  Sometimes it is the six month old who “sings” with the congregation; sometimes it is the faces of the children, surrounding the altar, with the candlelight illuminating their upturned faces as they watch the bread as it is broken; sometimes it is in fellowship following a service or in the willingness of another to confide in me; sometimes it is in watching two or three people supporting one another. No matter what, I know the Holy Spirit is present and that God holds us and that Jesus smiles when we are told that the bread and wine are “Holy Food for Holy People;” because forever and for always, this is Holy Ground.  It is in how we experience, explore and experiment that we are offered the excitement of being God’s people!