What's in your hand right now?

Irony.  I was on Facebook just now and someone posted this link:  

Before you go on reading this post, go ahead and watch the video, this can wait.

[cue the Jeopardy theme…]

I’m having trouble breathing right now.  The guilt of the reality of this video shakes me, deeply.  It’s easy to justify social media as a way to connect with people we would otherwise miss on a regular basis.  I know that my reach back to many of my childhood and college friends would be non-existent without Facebook, and for that I am truly thankful.  But I wonder how often I rely on Facebook to inform even those closest to me?  I’ll admit, it is too much.  Way.  Too.  Much.

And when I look at our kids and watch them using their smart phones to text and access Facebook, not comfortable with the aspect of using those phones as, well, phones, I cringe, wondering if they will ever be comfortable talking to people either face to face or on the phone.  I get mad at the convenience of texting because it sometimes is an excuse to not talk to someone because of busy-ness or the ability to drag a conversation on for days because the banter has no sense of urgency. 

I “need” a new cell phone.  Mine isn't smart.  Its outdated software does not allow me to do much more than make a call, text, calculate or set an alarm.  I can take photos, but my memory card isn't installed correctly (so it says), so I can’t easily save photos or send them.  But you know what?  Most of the time I don’t care that my phone is limited.  I can be present in community without being tethered to my device.  Even when I think I want a better camera on my phone I realize that I get to SEE without looking through a small lens.  I get to experience a broader view. 

After viewing this video, I think I’m even less inclined to search out the perfect phone for me.  When I was young, my parents loved the ability to go on vacation and completely disconnect from the corded telephone and all the responsibilities it tied them to.  Now, I am often afraid to run to the grocery store without my phone, in case I miss something.  Most of the time, I miss nothing.  So why do I take those few extra seconds to find the phone?

Back to the irony.  I found this video on Facebook.  A video that is telling all of us to get off and get out!  Go out into the world.  Look up, look forward.  See what’s ahead of you.  Smell the flowers.  Make a new friend.  Call someone and meet them, phone free, to reconnect and redefine your relationship.  Put your  phone away and don’t let it interrupt what is right in front of you.  Because, what or who is right in front of you or right beside you is the most important thing right now.  Let go of the security blanket you call your phone.  Spit out the pacifier that sucks the social life out of you.  Go, be, do, live.  That’s what it’s all about.
Now, I think I’ll head outside and enjoy some sunshine, move some logs and grill some meat.  It’s a glorious day!


Dear God, thanks for the reminder to enjoy the people and critters around us.  Amen.