The Rhythms of Spring

I've been listening to many people talk about how Daylight Saving Time has messed with their body’s rhythm.  I have to admit I have also been struggling with the time change and have found it extremely necessary to nap in the afternoons.  Even with the nap, I am able to sleep, well, through the night.  When rhythms are abruptly changed, it gives us an opportunity to restructure our time and our responsibilities.
 
It could be considered part of a Lenten practice: a time to give up; a time to take on; a time to take care of our souls; a time to take care of each other.  When an hour goes away, we realize its value.  In about a week, our bodies will regain their rhythm.  We will find our way through this Lent after struggling through the first week of messed up schedules.  We will prepare for these next days with an understanding of our vulnerabilities and our dependence on the stability we can find in relationship with God.

In the meantime, I will rest when my body requires rest.  I will live in relationship with my dear ones and with the Dear One.  I will find the rhythm of Lent and embrace all the nuances of this journey.  I will adapt to the light and be thankful.


Dear God, in this holy time of Lent we are witnesses to dramatic change in seasons.  As the snow melts and puddles flood the still frozen earth, new sights and smells remind us that creation is ever in transition.  When human constructs, like Daylight Saving Time, disrupt our rhythm, we have the beauty of creation, in its time of transformation, to remind us that in every hour you are present, even in that hour we “lost,” you are present.  Be with us watching, waking and sleeping.  Guide our dreams and make us ever thankful for you.  Amen.