Family Time

I've spent the day travelling today.  I love driving when the trees are at this point—still green with hints of gold and red.  The sumac is brilliant against the golden grasses.  Driving through the bluffs of Southeastern Minnesota, I always feel at home.  An eagle soaring over the river is always a welcomed sight. 

My cousin’s wife died earlier this week, so I drove down to my parents’ home to carpool down to LaCrosse, where we gathered to celebrate her life.  My cousin seemed numb, wearing his wife’s wedding band set as a slide at the knot of his tie.  His older brother officiated the service and his other two brothers and parents attended.   I haven’t seen all of them together for a few years.

The youngest of the “boys” fell off a roof a year and a half ago, paralyzing him.  Seeing him today, I was able to see the progress he has made.  It is astounding all he has accomplished in these 15 months.  He surprised his mom with his newest experience:  eating with his right hand.  He told me today that he has met 9 years of sobriety this week.  With all that he has gone through, maintaining his sobriety is huge.

I find it interesting that so many of us rely on major life events to gather to realize the importance of family.  The looks in the eyes of my cousins reminded me that these people are a part of me.  They were my first friends, my protectors and my family.  Apart more than together, I still trust them to be my friends, protectors and family.


O Father of all families, thank you for my family.  Be with those who are hurting, for those who care for them and for those who support in whatever ways they are able.  Receive those who have died and embrace those who are grieving.  Help us find peace in our sorrow and joy in our living.  Amen.