Money...or Wealth?

I worry about money.  There.  I admitted it.  Even after today’s Gospel from Luke 16 where Jesus tells us in the parable that “You cannot serve God and wealth.” 

We are not financially wealthy people.  We have lived with the majority of our income coming from the full time employment of my husband.  I’ve worked part time, hoping to make enough money each month to make the house payment.  And, for the most part, I was successful at meeting that goal.  But now, I’m in school and I’m costing us money rather than making us money.  Ooo.  That sounded like I serve wealth, didn’t it?

One time, years ago, I was told in a talk (probably from someone in Tupperware) that it’s about what money can do.  What doors can it open and for whom?  Does having a little extra jingle mean an additional activity for a child or does it mean a little more to give away to someone in more need?  For us, having the security of those dollars from my part time work ensured that we were secure in our home, and that we could splurge once in a while for a date night.  Later, it became money for preschool and then school activities.

Now, we really live on a single income.  And the income is from our own business, so if there’s no work (which, thank God, has not ever been the case), there’s no income.  It puts a lot of pressure on Jeff and he puts in a serious amount of time to ensure our security and our lifestyle and my education.  

Even though he works a lot, Jeff also does a serious amount of volunteering.  He’s the president-elect for his Rotary Club.  He’s on the church board.  He’s a member of a number of local business organizations and he was just the Master of Ceremonies for the Minnesota Literacy Foundation Luncheon last week—another organization that wants him on their board of directors.  (The answer is no.)

For us, wealth is not about the money in the bank, but without the money in the bank we would not be able to do all the things we do to experience all the other “wealth” we “bank.”  We know that God has provided us with all these things and that what we do to make a living only helps us to live out God’s call to us in and for this world.  We give financially when we feel we can.  We give of our time far more often, and often to the point of exhaustion.  And yet, we are wealthy.

So, I guess, I do worry about money because of what money can do in this hurting world.  I worry about having enough to live on, yes, but I worry about having enough to give as we are able.  I may not be making much of a living, financially, these years I’m in school, but I am still making a life.  And I hope that what I am doing is all about serving God.  And I hope that at the end of all this education I will be able to make a living so that Jeff can take some time off from those responsibilities, can slow down a little and will go fishing. (See the post from August 27.)


O Jesus, you presented parables that are hard to hear and harder to understand.  We know that we are not to be anxious about earthly things, but money is so important to our survival.  We know that we sometimes want it for the wrong reasons, but most of the time we just want enough to be able to have a roof over our head and food in our stomachs.  Help us to remember that money’s value is in what we can do with it, not in what it can do for us.  Teach us to understand that difference.  Amen.