Yea, I'm "That Mom"

Okay.  I’ll admit it.  I cried a little bit today.  I had to finally let out some of my anxiety about the trip.  Saying, “Bye!  Have fun!  I’m really proud of you!  Stay safe!  God’s blessing!” at 4 a.m. was just the beginning.  I tried to keep the tears in while I hugged our girl, and I was pretty successful, but I think she saw the dampness in my eyes anyway.  I thought I’d be okay, but when I was listening to the radio when I woke up at 11:00 (I hadn't gone to bed until we got home about 5) I heard news of a tropical storm in the Gulf of Mexico that was wreaking havoc on the Mexico coastal cities.  So, as any good mom would do, I checked the Delta website to see if the plane had landed yet…and kept checking until I left for school at 12:30.  It didn't make sense—the flight time from Atlanta said just under four hours, but the expected arrival time was 11:30.  They left Atlanta sometime in the 9:00 hour. 

Intellectually, I knew that there was a typo of some sort on the Delta site.  But when I got to school, and we began the intercessory prayers during Morning Prayer and one of my friends mentioned Erin and the trip, the tears started to flow.  They didn't stop.  I did not want to be “that mom” but, darnit!  I wanted to know that the plane had landed.  Thankfully, my fellow classmates understood, perhaps because they are all moms.   

But I’m still a little anxious, waiting to read the first blog post, ensuring their safe arrival.  And, it’s a little strange when neither child is home for dinner.  It’s a taste of an empty nest, yes.  It reminds us that our lives cannot revolve around our children and that our relationship will need adjusting when the kids are really on their own.  The reality that there will be a time, coming very soon, when we won’t know what’s going on in their lives as much as we do now.  I should expect this, but it happens so much more quickly than I thought it would.  There is some time in the next year, before Erin moves on to college, to prepare, but I don’t think, emotionally, that this is going to be easy.

Perhaps tomorrow I won’t be so transparent, emotional or anxious.
 

Dear Lord of All, thank you for my friends who are praying for Erin and for me as this journey commences.  Knowing that they are caring for us, lifting us, strengthening us through their prayers is an immeasurable gift.  Knowing that you are hearing the prayers, keeping the students safe, the parents sane and the hearts, minds and souls open, is such a comfort to me.  Occupy us all with the tasks at hand, ever mindful of the innumerable gifts we have.  Help us to pay attention to the needs of others and guide us to do good things.  To you, our strength and our redeemer.  Amen.