The ants go marching...

Did you know that teeny tiny ants bite?  Hard?  Especially when you step into their nest?  Where they have a bunch of larvae?  Neither did I.  I was planting in one of our boxes this afternoon and unbeknownst to me, I stood in their nest.  I walked away and was being bitten on my left ankle.  I was shocked to see my shoe covered in ants; but only the left shoe.  I tell you what, those buggers bite hard! 

I had to go back to where I had been standing to see just what it was I had done.  The area was swarming with those little grease or sugar ants that seem to invade the house in the spring.  I poked around a bit to find the nest was full of white larvae—it is unlikely it is their offspring because they were twice the size as the ants.  I don’t like to use chemicals to destroy these things, but this was icky and I’ve been battling with them inside, too.  So I sprinkled the area with cornmeal.  I had heard once that if they ingest it, they will explode as it expands in their systems.  A few hours later I went to look at the nest—and it was covered in ant parts.  Apparently what I read can be verified on Snopes!  At least for those ants.  I also put some on the ant hills of those big black carpenter ants, but I don’t think they are taking the bait.

Of course, the irony in all of this is that our daughter is studying leaf-cutter ants in Costa Rica.  They are trying to figure out how to keep the ants in the ecosystem, even when the ants destroy the cash crops.  Perhaps all they need to do is sprinkle corn meal around the edge of the gardens?


Dear God, the ants were biting, the humidity was sweltering, and I had sweat running into my eyes, but the annuals are planted and providing beauty on our deck and in our gardens.  Sometimes, we have to take the bad with the good to fully appreciate the gifts within creation.  A few notes of particular thanks tonight, Lord.  Thank you for the two successful surgeries I was praying for.  Thank you for the many hands which worked together to finish clearing the debris left from the storm.  Thank you for restoring electricity to a few more homes and businesses today.  To you be the glory!  Amen.