Shifting gears

The last couple of weeks have been filled with shifting gears.  The end of the semester meant that I would have more free time.  At least from school work.  I was able to pick up some of my home duties, like buying lots and lots of groceries.  I have bounced from ‘mom’ to ‘wife’ a little easier, since ‘student’ got some time off.  But I replaced ‘student’ with ‘daughter-in-law’ and ‘daughter’ duties that I usually don’t have time for.  And then there have been meetings: a meeting to prep for tonight’s meeting, which is preparation for Saturday’s meeting … for church.  Shifting from work writing to parenting to church meeting to work writing to parenting, I feel like my gears are stripped!   

Dear God, I am thankful for the ability for an automatic transmission that helps me shift gears smoothly and mostly easily as my roles and tasks change quickly and actively.  I am thankful that I am able to idle periodically with a book or movie.  I am also thankful that I can run efficiently in fifth gear, speeding safely through all the obstacles and opportunities along the way.  I trust in you to keep me motivated to maintain my engine so that I do not sputter and break down when life accelerates to warp speed.  Remind me to find a nice place to put it in park, shut off the engine and let it rest.  Amen.