In Memory of...

I've been pretty lucky. Even though my dad and both brothers served in the Navy and Air Force, none of them ever saw combat (even though Dad was active during the Korean War). It's hard for me to imagine what others have experienced whose loved ones have been in combat. So I think about that on days like today. Thankful that I have not had direct experience with a loved one in combat, yes. But also thankful for all those who, whether they expected to or not, went into dangerous places to protect and serve...and for their families, for all they have had to or are currently are enduring while their loved one is away. 

I think about people I know of, but do not know, who are currently active duty, the husband of a second cousin, the husbands of the daughters of friends. I think of a young man from my church. The daily concern their families have for the safety of those they love must be overwhelming. 

Over the years I have thought about all who have suffered or given up something because of war. Of the women who had to hold the country together during WWII. Who had to give up the jobs they took during to war and give them to the veterans upon their return. I think of great uncles who had to remember their war stories. I think of those who were held captive. I think of my friend whose dad was killed in Viet Nam when she was a child.

It is a day to remember. I wish you all this day, a day of thankful memories, a day of tears, a day of hope for our futures.